Tuesday 5 June 2012

As Faith's mother I wish to thank her for roping us in (sorry, including us) in her Wormery Store Blog.  I just love her write-up about happy childhood memories picking soft fruit, I seem to remember a truculent little girl moaning like hell at having to work for her pocket money!

Ever onwards.  Today I decided I would attempt my first ever blog (well it is heaving down with rain outside) so I seriously deliberated what to say.  My primary job at the moment is to take stock of what jams, pickles, dehydrated fruit and veg etc are currently harbouring on a shelf in the garage and decide what is usable, what should have been thrown out years ago (I kid you not, some of the jam labels are dated 2009) and what to eat tout de suite!  I like to have a good cull at least once a year - ok, truth be told at least every 5 years!  Mind you, let's face it Marie Curie wasn't put off by a bit of mould so why should I be.

Anyhow, off I trundle into the garage and have a quick perusal of said shelf.  Daunting!  I casually cast my eyes around the garage (think more wall to wall shelving than a place a car could be parked) and there at the back of a top shelf, just behind the yoghurt maker (must use that one day) and the old deep fat fryer that gave up the ghost years ago, I espied two large Le Parfait kilner jars.  The old memory banks started rattling and I think to myself this could be interesting.  Step ladder in place,I retrieve two full 2 litre jars of - YES - Raspberry Vodka.  I made this last September and should have strained and bottled it in time for Xmas.

So, the jams and pickles are still happily festering on the shelf, but hey, the vodka has been duly strained, bottled and er........ sampled.  Very nice, even if I do say so myself!  Oh, the recipe:-  400g of home grown raspberries, 300g of sugar and a bottle of vodka; throw it all in a large kilner jar, shake every week or so until all the sugar has dissolved, after 3 months it is ready for straining, bottling and more importantly, drinking.  Dont waste money on expensive vodka, supermarket value brand just as tasty.  For human consumption only, dont recommend this for the worms!

Off for a little lie down now. 


3 comments:

  1. Home-made Vodka? Sounds great, can you use any fruit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. General opinion from fellow tipplers at the allotments is that most soft fruits are happy to mix with vodka or gin. I do sloe gin and sloe vodka, and have also done blackberry vodka. Did do a rather interesting Rhubarb and Ginger vodka last year.

      Delete
  2. well done Helen..ooops sorry should I have mentioned that I know you????

    ReplyDelete