Wednesday 28 November 2012


Ever since it was 'suggested' that I write the occasional vegetable blog by the girls in my life, a great pestilence has descended.  It has contrived to destroy by various means any, in fact most, of the crops I endeavoured to grow this season.  Words such as 'witches' and 'spells' did cross my mind for a period; silly old fool that I am!

The seasonal weather of Spring, Summer and Autumn was confused; it confused me, my seeds, my plants and my fellow allotment holders.  The one constant was the rain - and still is.  Add to this blight, pigeons and every colour of minuscule bug going and not all went well on the allotment this year.

Whenever I returned from my visits to the allotment I would be asked 'And what have you got today?' my answer as ever was 'a disaster'.  Mind you, I did still managed to fill the freezers with disasters, but unfortunately not those of the neighbours!  As I returned home each time with my meagre harvest I'm sure I felt eyes piercing into my back and heard a faint a chorus of 'where's ours you miserable old git'.

Were there any successes?  NO!  Well maybe the tomatoes and autumn raspberries were goodish.  Kept going on lettuce, and early and second early spuds were just about ok; main crop didn't happen. Runners were very sparse and as for any kind of green, cabbage, brassica - don't ask it only winds me up!

Never mind there's always next year, perhaps the girls will cast a different spell!  Don't forget your wormeries as the weather gets colder, mine are sheltered and may get wrapped in some garden fleece when the frosts arrive.  If not sheltered move them to a shed, greenhouse or garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment